TESTING & COUNSELING
We offer confidential prevention counseling and testing by appointment. Testing is performed in one of three ways, with results available in as few as 30 minutes.
- SALIVA: Results are available within 30 minutes.
- CHEEK SWAB: Using cells from your cheek, results are available within two weeks.
- BLOOD: Venipuncture uses blood taken from a vein; results are available within two weeks.
YOU SHOULD BE TESTED
- If you or your sex partner ever had sex without using a condom;
- If you or your partner ever shared needles or syringes for injecting drugs, steroids, or vitamins;
- If you or your partner ever shared needles or ink for tattooing or piercing;
- If you are being treated for any sexually transmitted infections;
- If you are pregnant.
The Washington State Department of Health has an excellent brochure that provides more information about HIV testing.
To schedule an appointment for an HIV test, call 360-728-2235.
Fees for HIV testing are determined by a sliding scale, based on income and family size. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay.
Testing for HIV is also available from physicians, hospitals, clinics, and other testing sites. By law, all positive test results are reported to us for follow-up, which includes partner services and testing, and referrals to other services as needed. All test results that come to us from other sources remain confidential.